Semey Medical University is one of the largest medical universities of Kazakhstan, with its hospitals and branches in different cities of the country. Established in 1953, SMU had only 360 students in the faculty of medicine. SMU has now grown into graduating 1000 highly trained doctors each academic year from various range of specialties that the university offers.
As the number of faculties gradually grew, the number of students grew as well. The university aims to graduate highly qualified and trained health care specialists to help prosper the public health care sector.
The university presently teaches around 3500 aspiring medical professionals with the help of their highly qualified faculty members who possess a significant amount of experience in the field of teaching healthcare.
The university is located in the city of Semey in the east region of Kazakhstan. Semey town is situated on banks of the Irtysh River and covers an area of about 25000 sq km. This part has an abrupt continental climate, and the temperatures can go as low as -45 degreeCelsius during winters and during summers, as high as 45 degree Celsius.
Quality of education
The university offers a high-end medical education to its students and strives to outdo themselves in providing so.
It offers various courses with the medium of instruction being English, Kazakh and Russian. It provides its students with a conducive environment for a better learning experience. Students are regularly encouraged to perform extracurricular activities to help them grow professionally and mentally.
Guest lectures, welfare programs, career counselling etc. are often organized by the institute to help students gather new information.
The university has various departments and faculties for respective specialties, training and internships as well.
Faculties/Departments on SMU:
- Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacology and Demonstrative Medicine
- Department of Public Health Care
- Department of Food and Hygienic Disciplines
- Department of Propaedeutics of Internal Diseases
- Department of Medicine of Accidents and Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Stomatology
- Department of Russian and Foreign Languages
- Department of Biochemistry and Chemical Disciplines
- Anatomy and Histology Department
- Department of Pathological Anatomy and Forensic Medicine
- Department of Physiological Disciplines
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of the General Medical Practice
- Department of Children’s Diseases
- Surgery and traumatology department
- Department of the general surgery
- Department of Neurology, psychiatry and infectious diseases
- Department of Oncology and Visual Diagnosis
- Department of immunology and dermatological venereology
- Department of military preparation
- Department of the internship by internal medicine
- Department internship in general practice and further education
- Internship department on pediatrics and pediatric surgery
- Internship department on surgery
- Internship department on obstetrics and gynecology
Courses offered by SMU:
The institute offers the following of specialty courses on the Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
|Pharmacy||Public health care|
|General medicine||Nurse business|
For an Indian student to be eligible for SMU, they must:
- Be above 17 years of age.
- Score at least 50% in PCB at 10+2
- Qualify NEET
- Should Possess a valid passport
SMU must be an ideal choice of institution for an aspiring medical professional as the university offers high quality, English medium education with more emphasis on practical knowledge. At Semey living costs are low, and yet the conditions are more than excellent. SMU should indeed be an ideal choice for any medical aspirants out there.